The United States is currently experiencing drug abuse at levels never before seen. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) drug abuse has increased over 100% in the last half-decade. In particular, prescription drug abuse is on the rise, and so are overdose fatalities.
Having stated that, there are definite legitimate reasons to provide narcotics for chronic pain. In order to provide narcotics safely, most pain clinics are now utilizing urine drug testing to make for a safer treatment.
Below we discuss the top 5 reasons urine drug testing protects both the patient and the Florida pain doctor.
1. Drug testing provides documentation the patient is taking their prescribed medication as well as avoiding illicit drugs.
A drug test provides tangible proof that the patient is taking their medication. It is also a way for the pain doctor in Florida to discover if the patient is abusing illegal drugs such as heroin and methamphetamines. Increasingly there are a number of people obtaining prescriptions then selling them on the black market as a way to earn money.
2. Drug testing helps in the regulation of narcotic prescriptions.
More states are clamping down on narcotic prescriptions because of abuse. That means additional regulations are being implemented such as drug testing. A drug test will soon be the standard for receiving prescription narcotics.
3. Drug testing protects the provider from legal issues.In a litigious society, a drug test administered by a health care provider provides a paper trail protecting the care giver from potential lawsuits. For example, should a patient sell their prescription to someone who in turn injures someone while on the substance, the doctor may be held liable unless there is a trail of documentation protecting him or her.
4. Provides equality for all patients.
It is not necessarily fair for only young people between the ages of 15-24 to be drug tested. Testing patients of all ages makes it a fair playing field, and is safer for everyone. Prescription drug abuse is not just a young person problem. People of all ages are falling prey to drug abuse.
5. Provides a baseline for the patient’s narcotic usage.
A drug test establishes proper care for new or first time patients. It ensures the patient is accurately portraying the drug history they wrote down on the intake application.
The Florida Pain Network connects those in pain with pain clinics throughout Florida. This includes pain management Tampa trusts, Orlando pain clinics, West Palm Beach pain management and many more. Visit the website to find those closest to you or call (877) 877-8556 for assistance today!